Monday

How I popped the question.


Since Erica and I met in Newport Beach, I thought it was only appropriate to propose there. With the help of a ton of friends (Mike, Joanne, Tiff, John Jo, Jackie, Lance, Jerami and of course Kari), I planned to ask the most important question of my life on a boat ride during the annual Christmas Boat Parade in Newport Harbor. I had Jackie and Lance pretend that they were the ones planning the boat ride and coincidentally had room for just two more people. I was stuck in New York at the time for work and had to coordinate with everyone 2 thousand miles away. Two days before coming back, Erica gave me a call and asked if I was interested in joining the group, of course I said yes. At the same time I needed to figure out how the announcement would be made, so I planned to have my cousin Mike and his wife Joanne help make a sign that would hang from one of the many bridges over the Harbor. The day of the proposal, Mike and I scouted for the perfect location and decided a bridge on Lido Island would do the trick. Joanne and her master craftsman skills constructed a giant sign from a white bed sheet, black felt, six hundred Christmas lights and a car battery. With everything in place, all I had to do was make sure I didn't lose the engagement ring in the harbor, crash a boat that I had never driven before and figure out where the hell that bridge was again, no pressure. After steering the boat aimlessly, we finally came under the bridge where Mike, Joanne our other friends Tiffany and John Jo (now engaged) were holding up the beautiful sign. The funniest thing was Erica saw the sign, read it out loud, laughed and had no clue that it was for her! It wasn't until she looked over at me and saw me on one knee did it hit her. The second funniest thing was our friend Roula also had no clue that I was going to propose, we thought it'd be cool to keep her in the dark too. And the rest is history!

For a nominal fee, I can send you the exact blueprints to this plan for your very own proposal.

No comments: